The Nuclear Fuel Laboratory is structured for the development of ceramic and metallic advanced nuclear fuels for Testing and Research, Power and Propulsion reactors.
The laboratory consists of the following areas:
- Fuel Microspheres Manufacturing: Development of fuel ceramic microspheres of UO2, ThO2, (U,Th)O2, (U,Gd)O2 and (U,Ce)O2 etc. by the sol-gel processing.
- Pelletization of Nuclear Fuels: Development of pelletization of ceramic and metallic nuclear fuels to obtain pellets through the pressing and thermal treatment steps of annealing, reduction and sintering of powders and microspheres.
- Metallic Alloys: Development of metallic alloys and nuclear fuel plates.
- Ceramographic and Metallographic preparation: Ceramographic and metallographic preparation of ceramic and metallic materials through the steps of cupping, sanding and polishing.
- Characterization: Physical and chemical characterization of ceramic and metallic nuclear fuels.